Dare we say spring has sprung? It has been one long winter in Alberta, and we are ready to welcome the sunshine and warm weather with open arms! But before we do, let's review some home care tips as winter comes to an end!
Every home needs regular cleaning and maintenance in order to stay in good condition, keep you safe and ensure your comfort for years to come. Ensuring regular maintenance is done on your home will also help preserve the value of your home if you ever decide to sell. In terms of the seasonal maintenance, there are specific things that you may want to focus on when the seasons change.
So, what type of maintenance should you be considering when spring comes around?
Here are a few things that we recommend:
- Clean windows, inside and out. Replace or repair any damaged screens and check for any damage to the seals.
- Check smoke, carbon monoxide and security alarms, and replace batteries as necessary.
- Check sprinkler systems. Do a manual check to ensure everything is working properly; you may need to adjust heads that are not spraying in the proper direction, or replace any damaged parts.
- Inspect your eavestroughs; clear out any debris found in gutters or downspouts, and repair loose joints or attachments.
- Check outside hose faucets for freeze damage. Turn the water on and place your thumb or finger over the opening. If you can stop the flow of water, it is likely the pipe inside the home is damaged and will need to be replaced.
- Inspect your house’s foundation for moisture. Ensure that the landscape grading slopes away from the house, and make repairs as necessary.
- If you have roof shingles, take some time to examine them to determine if any were lost or damaged over the winter season. Shingles that are cracked or loose need to be replaced.
- Check for cracks in the concrete or asphalt of your driveways or walkways and repair or reseal them.
- Inspect the roof to see if there are any holes, leaks, blistering, rotting or any other signs of damage, and make repairs as necessary.
- Switch on power to air conditioning and check system, and replace filters as necessary.
- Check your sump pump if you have one installed.
- Clean range hood filter and humidifier.
- Change furnace filter.
- Finally, don't forget to change the humidity level on your humidifier to around 40% when the weather warms up!