Construction Equipment Operator
Hourly Flexible Position | Date Posted: 30 April 2019
Trico Communities is looking for the sharpest tool in the shed. Join us today.
“Trico is made up of an incredible team of people who are dedicated to building outstanding homes and communities in and surrounding Calgary, AB. We are continually recognized as one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies and one of the Best Workplaces in Canada. And that shows clearly in our culture. We emphasize work-life balance and focus on learning and development, innovation and fun at work. Trico Homes is dedicated to equality and inclusion in the workplace and we invite you to join our team today to help us build on our success, and build your career at one of Canada’s best places to work!”
Trico Communities design-builds, owns and operates its developments and buildings. Trico’s development portfolio includes commercial, mixed use and residential properties including rentals, assisted living and memory care.
Our success is your success. Want to join our team?
We are currently recruiting for a Construction Equipment Operator.
This is an hourly flexible position.
The Construction Equipment Operator will be responsible for operating Trico Communities’ heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Heavy construction equipment may include front-end loaders, skid steers, hy hoe excavators, mini hoe excavators, trucks and other pieces of equipment. He or she must always perform circle checks of equipment and clean, maintain and secure all equipment as directed by legislation, policies and procedures. Due to the hazards associated with operating heavy equipment, this position places special prohibitions on working while under the influence of drugs, alcohol or prescribed medications and the use of handheld devices such as cellular phones, etc. Other duties involve dealing with clients and members of the public in a courteous, respectful manner and receiving complaints about schedules and levels of quality of service. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Operate hydraulic pumps, safety valves, and any other necessary mechanical components.
- Operate gasoline and diesel powered units.
- Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations and compliances.
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to the supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
- Refrain from using drugs and or alcohol or prescribed medications causing drowsiness prior to reporting for work, or decline work based on these conditions.
- Disable cellular phones and other sources of distraction at all times while operating heavy equipment.
- Diagnose / identify defects in heavy duty equipment.
- Accurate completion of work orders and time cards.
- Repair cooling, and lubrication systems.
- Install and align engines and machinery.
- Clean, lubricate and perform other minor maintenance work.
- Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation.
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology and operation techniques.
- Oversee cargo handling and secure loads, including equipment preparation, application of safe practices, compliance with applicable Acts and regulations.
- Maneuver trucks/heavy equipment into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew as needed; check that vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned.
- Report equipment defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the equipment.
- Check all documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Operate equipment such as computers, CB radios, and telephones to exchange necessary information with bases, supervisors, or other operators.
- Maintain logs of working hours and of vehicle service and repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Communicate effectively with the public, customers, and co-workers both verbally and in written form.
- Ensure that material is properly protected from the outdoor elements.
- Deliver product and proper paperwork to our customers in a courteous and timely manner.
- Ensure that any debris caused by the loading/unloading of equipment is cleaned up.
- Complete all necessary paperwork (may include, but is not limited to, daily logs, inspection logs, equipment inspection, hours of service, etc).
- Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Certification, diploma or degree in related field preferred.
- Construction Equipment Operator Journeyman license.
- Appropriate credentials and certifications.
- A minimum of 5-7 years’ experience as a Construction Equipment Operator.
- Knowledge of construction equipment safety.
- Knowledge of operation of front end loaders, skid steers, hy hoe excavators, mini excavators, compactors and other pieces of heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance and storage.
- Knowledge of construction and maintenance techniques.
- Strong mechanical aptitude with ability to perform routine equipment maintenance.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with strong oral and written communication abilities.
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time management techniques.
- High level of personal integrity.
- Strong work ethic.
- Professional/mature demeanor under stressful situations.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Confident, consistent decisive personality.
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
Until suitable candidate is found.
If you are seeking an exciting challenge in a workplace where excellence is valued, please send your resume by email to: email@example.com
We appreciate the interest of all candidates, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that a security clearance will be part of the recruitment process.